Student Crossing Procedure:
To Board the Bus:
- Students wait in a group at the designated bus stop at least 10 feet away from the edge of the roadway and watch the bus driver for the signal to cross.
- Bus drivers will display a sign (see below) to indicate when it is safe to cross the street.
- Students proceed directly across the road always staying well in front of the bus and board the bus.
- Do not stop in the middle of the street or cross behind the bus.
- Bus stops will be placed at legal locations consistent with Board policy or if required by law.
When Exiting the Bus:
- Students exit the bus and take 10 giant steps in front of the bus staying on the side of the street.
- Students stand in a group and look to the bus driver for the signal to cross.
- Bus drivers will display a sign to indicate when it is safe to cross the street.
Red stop sign means "STOP"
Yellow smile face means "CROSS SAFELY"
- Students proceed to a point even with the left side of the bus and stop.
- Students look left and right for passing cars.
- Students look to the driver for instruction to complete the crossing.
- Do not cross behind the bus.
- If a paper or article goes under the school bus, always ask the bus driver for help.
- Do not get mail from roadside mailboxes until after the bus leaves the stop.
School bus drivers are required to do Emergency Evacuations three (3) times during the school year (fall, winter and spring).
Please be aware of the Bus Safety procedures and to stay out of the danger zone. When the bus arrives, stay away from the wheels.
This bus is for getting you safely to school,
So stay in your seats and obey every rule.
No hands out the windows, no junk on the floor,
No rushing or shoving to get out the door.
In front of the bus is the right way to cross,
Behave, and remember the driver’s the boss.
Talk if you wish, but quietly please,
Bad language is out and it’s not nice to tease.
Don’t eat, drink or smoke, nor damage the bus,
Our safety depends on each one of us!