Early Childhood Center Annual Report for 2010-2011
Dear Parents and Community Members:
We are pleased to present you with the Annual Education Report (AER) which provides key information on the 2010-2011 educational progress for the Early Childhood Center (ECC). The AER addresses the complex reporting information required by federal and state laws. The school’s report contains information about student assessment, Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) and teacher quality. If you have any questions about the AER, please contact Nancy Burk, ECC Principal, for assistance.
The AER is available for you to review electronically HERE or you may review a copy from the ECC office, 140 W. McKinley Avenue, Zeeland.
Kindergarten and Young 5’s students attending Zeeland Public Schools are assigned to one of three buildings. Their assignment is determined by their home address. The Early Childhood Center houses 8 sections of kindergarten, 2 sections of Young Fives, one section of GSRP preschool, and 3 sections of Early Childhood Special Education classrooms. We also accept schools-of-choice students both within the district and out of district.
Our 2011-2012 School Improvement Goals are as follows:
● All students will be proficient in Early Literacy Skills as determined by the composite score on the Dynamic Indicator of Basic Early Literacy Skills (DIBELS) assessment.
● All students will be proficient in the Math area of “making number partners to 10”.
● All students will achieve a Running Record Instructional Level of 3 or above by the end of the school year.
● All students will increase skills in the 6 areas of writing as they relate to the social studies curriculum. Goal is a total overall score of 24 out of 30.
● Develop a kindergarten science pacing guide by the end of the 2011-2012 school year. This guide will ensure that all students gain a solid understanding of Michigan Grade Level Content Expectations for kindergarten science.
The CORE CURRICULUM for our school, based upon the State of Michigan Grade Level Content Expectations, is available at our school office or on our building web site. A team of Zeeland educators regularly evaluates and revises our curriculum to ensure that classroom lessons meet state requirements for kindergarten through twelfth grade. We are also making the transition to the new Common Core Standards adopted by the State of Michigan and many other states in our nation.
Besides a rigorous curriculum, our district has implemented learner goals for all students. These goals frame what we expect our students to accomplish by the time they graduate from Zeeland Public Schools. If you have questions about Zeeland Public Schools’ curriculum, please contact us at 616-748-3004 or email Administrative Assistant Alice Chidester.
A copy of the Parents Guides from the Michigan Department of Education for Kindergarten Math and English Language Arts expectations can be obtained by searching “parent’s guides” at www.michigan.gov/mde. Copies curriculum used at the Early Childhood Center Curriculum office at 748-3000.
The ECC staff is committed to our Mission Statement:
The Early Childhood Center provides a nurturing, educational environment in which students share the responsibility with staff, parents, and community to reach their full potential in all areas of learning and become competent, life-long learners.
The Early Childhood Center had a parent participation rate of ninety four percent at parent-teacher conferences in 2010-2011.
Nancy E. Burk
Principal, Early Childhood Center